Colonial Gardens U-Pick Berry Patch
Colonial Gardens in Blue Springs is Kansas City's top "pick" for U-Pick berries! Our crop this year is ripe and plentiful. From raspberries to elderberries, the bushes are ready for picking. Farmer Bryn planted an abundance of rows of brambles (cane berries) in the Colonial Garden orchard available for U-Pick and as a selection in The Market. Colonial Gardens is proud to offer our customers:
- Black Raspberries
- Red Raspberries
- Goji Berries
- Bush Cherries
Berry picking is a great family activity for the summertime. See what all we have to offer and head out to Colonial Gardens to handpick today!
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8 am to noon
Tuesday & Thursday: 2 pm to 6 pm
Saturday: 8 am to 5 pm
PLEASE CHECK WEBSITE AND FACEBOOK FOR WEATHER UPDATES!
Field Entry is $2 per person and $1 per each child (3 and under);
Berries are $4 per quart or $20 per wax coated flat box (each flat holds up to 6 quarts)
- U-Pick parking is in the main Colonial Gardens parking lot.
- Check in at Customer Service inside the store. Here you will pay for field entry for your group and for the quarts or boxes of berries. Pick up your containers and learn more about the berries and tips for picking.
- Your group will be called to head across the street and out the orchard to the U-Pick area. At the patch, you'll be greeted by a Colonial Gardens associate who will show you to a row for picking.
- Each group will be allowed 30 minutes for picking.
Rules and Other Information
- Do not bring your own containers, Colonial Gardens will provide you with containers for collecting your berries.
- No pets for health and safety reasons.
- Pre-pick will not be available during U-Pick days/ hours. Pre-pick will be available the following week in The Market.
- Berries are first come, first serve. Check the website and Facebook page before heading to Colonial Gardens as we will post when the crop is sold out.
- Do not pick from restricted rows. Do not pick the flowers or unripe berries, this hurts the plants and reduces future berry crops.
- While it's very tempting to eat as you pick, please be courteous and refrain from snacking while in the fields.
- Refrigerate berries as soon as possible, wash before eating.
- Children must be supervised at all times.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in the orchard.
- Check the weather forecast and dress appropriately. Wear comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, and hats.
- Please respect physical distance from other groups.
Blackberries are growing on our new trellis system and will be available for U-Pick in Summer 2020. This will be the first fruiting year for Colonial Gardens blackberries.
Blackberries are ideal for jams and jellies, blended in smoothies, frozen and added to wine, fresh or in a fruit salad.
Red Raspberries (Not in Season)
Red raspberries are the perfect summertime treat! Summer 2020 is the first fruiting year for Colonial Gardens red raspberries.
These berries are another great candidate for jams and jellies, raspberry ice cream, smoothies, flavored iced tea, and much more!
(Not in Season)
Strawberries are occasionally available in The Market at Colonial Gardens. Our crops of fresh strawberries come from a neighboring farm in Oregon. Follow us on social media for updates on when strawberries are in store!
Strawberries are delicious to eat on their own, but try them in smoothies, on top of ice cream or cheesecake, on salads, and dipped in chocolate.
(Not in Season)
Black raspberries can still be found in the patch, but they will be gone soon! Come out to our U-Pick Wednesdays and Saturdays to enjoy this year's crop of these unique and delicious berries!
Summer 2020 is the first fruiting year for Colonial Gardens black raspberries. This crop of 2 varieties was planted in November 2018 and will be available for picking for 3-4 weeks during the summer.
Black raspberries are similar to the common red raspberries, just a different color. Same sweet taste and usage. Great for jams, jellies, eating fresh or topping off a bowl of vanilla ice cream.