U-Pick apples and red raspberries happening now!
Berry patch is closed for the 2020 season
U-Pick Apples & Berries
Colonial Gardens U-Pick Orchard & Brambles
Colonial Gardens in Blue Springs is Kansas City's top "pick" for U-Pick! Our 2020 crop is ripe and plentiful. Our orchard and bramble patches feature a variety of apples and berries. 2020 is Colonial Gardens' first fruiting year. These trees and bushes were planted in 2017, giving them time to establish and produce delicious fruit. Our farm-grown produce is available for U-Pick and in The Market.
U-Pick is a great family activity for summer and fall. See what all we have to offer and head out to Colonial Gardens to handpick today!
- Black Raspberries
- Red Raspberries
- Goji Berries
- Bush Cherries
- Columnar, AKA Urban Apples
- Spur Golden Delicious
- Wildfire Gala
- Granny Smith
- September Wonder Fuji
Current Picking Schedule (beginning Wednesday, 9/16)
Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays during Farm Experience
Facebook page and website home page will be updated if picking is canceled due to severe weather or unfavorable orchard conditions.
Field Entry: $2/person 12 years and older; $1/person under 12
(If purchasing Farm Experience admission, field entry is included)
1 Peck Bag: $12
1/4 Peck Bag: $5.50
Note- 1 Peck is roughly 10 lbs. of apples.
Quart Container: $5.99
- U-Pick parking is in the main Colonial Gardens parking lot.
- Check in at Customer Service inside the store. Here you will pay and pick up your containers/ bags.
- Your group will be called to head across the street and out the orchard to the U-Pick area.
Rules and Other Information
- Do not bring your own containers, Colonial Gardens will provide you with containers/ bags for collecting your apples or raspberries.
- No pets for health and safety reasons.
- Pre-pick will not be available during U-Pick days/ hours. Pre-pick will be available the following week in The Market.
- Picking is first come, first serve. Check the website and Facebook page before heading to Colonial Gardens as we will post when the crop is sold out.
- Do not pick from restricted rows. Do not pick the flowers or unripe apples or raspberries, this hurts the plants and reduces future crops.
- While it's very tempting to eat as you pick, please be courteous and refrain from snacking while in the fields.
- Wash before eating, do not refrigerate apples. Refrigerate raspberries until you are ready to eat.
- Children must be supervised at all times.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in the orchard.
- Check the weather forecast and dress appropriately. Wear comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, and hats.
- Please respect physical distance from other groups.
Apples are such a versatile fruit. Used sweet or savory, when picked at the right time they can be added to a variety of dishes. Colonial Gardens has a type of apple for every use. Our apples are grown on a unique trellis system for optimal picking and to help support the trees. Planted in 2017, the trees have been able to root and establish themselves before producing this delicious produce.
Apples can be used in pies, apple butter, apple sauce, tarts, pork dishes, salads, or just sliced and enjoyed by themselves or with a dip of peanut butter.
Red Raspberries (Picking Now!)
Red raspberries are normally picked in the late spring/ early summer. But, Colonial Gardens has grown a fall crop in our greenhouses that will be open for u-pick. These raspberries are the perfect treat and same great taste as our summer produce.
These berries are another great candidate for jams and jellies, raspberry ice cream, smoothies, flavored iced tea, and much more!
(Not in Season)
Black raspberries can still be found in the patch, but they will be gone soon! Come out to our U-Pick Wednesdays and Saturdays to enjoy this year's crop of these unique and delicious berries!
Summer 2020 is the first fruiting year for Colonial Gardens black raspberries. This crop of 2 varieties was planted in November 2018 and will be available for picking for 3-4 weeks during the summer.
Black raspberries are similar to the common red raspberries, just a different color. Same sweet taste and usage. Great for jams, jellies, eating fresh or topping off a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
(Not in Season)
Strawberries are occasionally available in The Market at Colonial Gardens. Our crops of fresh strawberries come from a neighboring farm in Oregon. Follow us on social media for updates on when strawberries are in store!
Strawberries are delicious to eat on their own, but try them in smoothies, on top of ice cream or cheesecake, on salads, and dipped in chocolate.
(Not in Season)
Blackberries are growing on our new trellis system and will be available for U-Pick in Summer 2020. This will be the first fruiting year for Colonial Gardens blackberries.
Blackberries are ideal for jams and jellies, blended in smoothies, frozen and added to wine, fresh or in a fruit salad.